DUBAI: The UAE government on early Saturday morning March 7, announced 15 new COVID-19 cases, bringing the total so far at 45 as the rapid spread of the novel coronavirus across the world continues with over 102,200 people infected since it was first detected in China around late December last year.
This at hand, the UAE Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP) assured that medical facilities have all the necessary equipment and supplies to provide care and take all measures required to deal with COVID-19, including thermal scanners and infection isolation rooms, per standards set by the World Health Organization (WHO).
MoHAP also advised the public to refrain from spreading rumors.
The first confirmed COVID-19 cases in the UAE, which involved a family of four from China, was announced in late January.
Earlier this week, on March 3, MoHAP announced six new infections for a total of 27 COVID-19 cases.
Meantime, MoHAP said two Chinese COVID-19 patients have gotten well, which put to seven the total number of recovery cases in the country.
“With the latest recovery announcement of the two patients, aged 38 and 10, all members of the Chinese family are ‘free’ from the disease,” MoHAP said in a statement.
The MoHAP reported that 15 cases of different nationalities have tested positive for the virus, taking to 45 the total infections in the country.
According to MoHAP, early monitoring and reporting system has screened 13 COVID-19 cases: one person each from Thailand, China, Morocco and India; two each from Saudi Arabia, Ethiopia and Iran; and three individuals from the UAE.
All these cases arrived from abroad, the government health agency said.
Adding to these, MoHAP added, are two cases, each from the UAE and Egypt, which have been diagnosed through an “active surveillance system” for being in close contact with confirmed cases announced previously in connection with the recent cycling event, the UAE Tour. The last stages of the athletic event have been cancelled.
Moreover, MoHAP said five individuals, who had been in close contact with COVID-19 patients, have also been screened, placed under health quarantine and subjected to preventive measures to curb the spread of the virus.
“All cases are being monitored round-the clock, are in a stable condition and are receiving all necessary health care required,” MoHAP said.
The government agency said all concerned authorities in the UAE have joined forces to monitor the situation and take rapid response to prevent the further spread of coronavirus since its outbreak in Wuhan, provincial capital of Hubei in China.
Meantime, MoHAP assured that UAE medical facilities have been equipped with all necessary medical equipment and supplies to provide care and take all measures required to deal with COVID-19.
This include thermal scanners and infection isolation rooms, following standards set by the World Health Organization (WHO), the government agency said.
The Ministry once again advised the members of the general public to adhere to preventive health and personal hygiene protocols to prevent the spread of the disease and to read the awareness instructions, available on its website and the official websites of health authorities in the UAE and refrain from spreading rumors.
“The public is also advised to adopt protective health behavior to avoid infectious diseases, including washing their hands with soap and clean water, and covering the mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing to stop the spread of germs and viruses,” MoHAP said.
It also advised individuals suffering from respiratory symptoms to avoid crowded and public places to prevent transmission of the disease and protect lives.
The novel coronavirus has rapidly spread across the world in just a matter of a little over two months from late December. According to WHO, there are now 102,234 cases in 97 countries and territories.